Thursday, April 15, 2010

Ten Cheap Dates

Admittedly, what attracted me to the list, Ten Cheap Dates, that I discovered about a year ago on the web site, For Your Marriage, was the word cheap used in conjunction with the word date. Perfect for me, an insufferable  (to some) romantic, and my husband, aka Frugal Fannie! Having been married now for 25 years, I'm always looking to spice up our relationship a bit - to keep it from growing stale. My husband, who is not very creative when it comes to wooing his wife (he wonders why he must keep doing this), is the more budget conscious spouse. Not that I'm a spendthrift, nowhere near, but you should see  hubby's face light up when he reads that Giant is having a two-for-one sale. O, the joy!

They say that opposites attract ... well, I don't know. I like to think that we're more like salt and pepper. We each add something different to the mix, enhancing our marriage with our own individual traits. Sure, sometimes too much salt ruins the soup! And too much pepper, too. Just the right amount of each makes for quite a pleasant and flavorful experience. Keeping it all balanced - that's sometimes the tricky part. And the subject of another post for another time.

Now, back to the list. I'm including it for you below. Some of the ideas are sound and could actually be a lot of fun. As a resident of the Washington, D.C. metro area, I particularly like # 3. There's so much around these parts that my husband and I have yet to experience. So, for us, #3 is a really good idea. But, a few of the ideas threw my husband and me into fits of hilarity. Consider #7 and #10, for example. I cannot imagine (with a straight face) Jim taking part in anything like what these ideas suggest. I'm sure anyone who knows us would chuckle, too, at the very thought of Jim painting my toe nails. O, my! And never would I ever attempt to give that man (I love you, sweetie!) a pedicure! Eww, gross! Besides, I have a  real problem with feet. Do not like them. Do not want them on me, near me or in my face. I should probably seek counseling for this problem - definitely some sort of phobia. And cutting out paper hearts, writing something lovely on them, hiding them? Sheesh. Again, I cannot imagine Jim taking the time to cut out little pink paper hearts, let alone attempt to dream up something romantic to write on them. It would take him a very, very long time. Besides, this activity is way too touchy-feely for him. Now, the heartfelt treat part? That we could do in a heartbeat!
Okay, so some of the cheap date ideas may not be suitable for Jim and me, but for other couples they may  actually help draw them a little closer to one another and provide an opportunity to reconnect.  To each his own! Perhaps some or all of these ideas will help add a little spark to your relationship with your own spouse. And in this economy, I'm sure most of us appreciate saving a few dollars and we could all use a little more romance. Without further adieu, here's the list ... and please, feel free to comment with your own ideas. Especially if they're not too touchy-feely!

  1. Plan a picnic. If the weather is cold, spread a blanket on the living room floor. Romanticize the occasion by adding some wine, a rose, and mood music.
  2. "Tech-free" night. Turn off your cell phones, computer, the TV, and the lights. See what's left to do without electricity. Sing old songs, have a pillow fight, recount stories of how you met, plan for the future.
  3. Be a tourist. Pretend you're a tourist in your own town. Visit a museum, a scenic overlook, or a quaint neighborhood. Discover something new together!
  4. Midnight bowling. It's more than just bowling! Some places have special music, lighting and gimmicks. Even without these, it can be a lot of fun if you don't take it too seriously.
  5. Down memory lane. Look through old photos and tell each other stories of your childhood and families. If you feel really energetic, begin to put those loose photos in albums or on a disc. Your children will appreciate it one day.
  6. "Evening at the Ritz." Dress up and go to the lobby of an elegant hotel. Sit in the lunge and order a drink or snack. People watch and fantasize.
  7. Home spa. Create a home spa for the evening. Put on soothing music, light some scented candles, give each other a massage. Give your husband a pedicure or paint your wife's toenails, if you dare.
  8. Cheap gift challenge. Head to your local department store and challenge each other to come up with the most romantic gift possible. Two requirements: It can't cost more than $20, and it must be used that night.
  9. Shall we dance? Visit the local music store and pick up the latest hot dance CD (maybe your kids can help you choose). Buy a few snacks and plan your own party later that evening.
  10. Find-My-Heart treasure hunt. Cut out some paper hearts and hide them around your home. On each heart write an endearing statement about your spouse plus a clue to the next heart. At the end enjoy a heartfelt treat together.

No comments:

Post a Comment