Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Daybook, the day after

FOR TODAY

Outside my window

I spy a new squirrel's nest nestled in one of our maples along the property line out back. Most of the leaves have fallen and our trees stand bare against a steel gray sky. It's blustery and colder now than when I first stepped outside this morning to walk the dog. Off and on all morning a light drizzle has been falling covering everything in a fine, glistening mist. The air is pungent with an autumnal aroma. For some reason it reminds me of collecting chestnuts as a young child on Long Island. I loved cracking open the outer casing and running my fingers over the smoothness of the nut inside. I wonder if that's why I adore "The Christmas Song" - you know, Chestnuts roasting on an open fire ...

I am thankful for
So, so much. This has been one of the best Thanksgivings I can remember. Everyday I thank God for the blessings we've received over the past two months. For all the friends and family members who have helped us out during Katie's illness by cooking dinners, buying Isaac diapers, formula, clothes. For all the letters, e-mails, and cards of encouragement & support. For those who came to help care for Katie and Isaac while the rest of us headed off to work. For all the prayers, sacrifices, Mass intentions offered by so many kind souls - even those who don't know us, but heard about Katie's illness through friends & family or my blog posts. For Katie's doctor, Dr. Cintron, who figured out the 'real deal' and continues to offer her and Sam (and all of us) so much hope. And I am thankful, too, for life's trials; for the suffering that brings me closer and closer to Him and for the Grace He gives to endure it all, knowing all the while that my burdens are His burdens and none are too heavy for Him to carry with me and for me. I am thankful for Faith, Hope and yes, Love. Love that the world knows not and can never know without His Grace.

From the kitchen

A successfully delicious meal prepared, presented and consumed yesterday. I LOVE THANKSGIVING! The girls (Katie and Erin) made pies, a cheesecake and cranberry sauce on Wednesday. I managed to get my cornbread (for stuffing) baked late Wednesday night. At 6:30 Thanksgiving morning I headed down stairs, put on a pot of coffee (Starbuck's Thanksgiving blend - my fav!) and started preparing the stuffing. First I removed "the bird" from the basement refrigerator, so it could warm up to room temperature. I decided on making a cornbread stuffing so that Erin could eat it - it's gluten free! It was made with bacon, celery and leeks. Very yummy. I stuffed the turkey, buttered him all over, covered him with a piece of cheesecloth that had been soaked in melted butter and dry white wine. Basted him with the butter/wine mixture every 30 minutes or so until it was time to remove the cheesecloth (about 2 hours in) and then I used the pan juices. Oh, my gosh! What a delicious turkey! Our sides consisted of green beans tossed with a cherry vinaigrette which proved to be very refreshing, a sweet potato pudding that was out of this world yummy, of course, the stuffing and Katie's cranberry sauce - more like a relish, I would say. Everything was a variation of what I traditionally serve on Thanksgiving - only more grown-up. Okay, so maybe I'm bragging - but Erin and my brother both said it was the best Thanksgiving meal they've ever had. And that, of course, made me very happy.
Can't wait to eat the leftovers! 
On Pandora

Veni, Veni Emanuel (Mannheim Steamroller)
- an tad early start on Advent which starts Sunday

I am wearing

Still in my p.j.'s!! :)

I am thinking

About all the descriptions and photos of beach house rentals that I've been poring over the last few weeks. I just need to stop being a perfectionist, pick one and reserve it for next June!

I am creating

Lists. Of all sorts of things, because I'm a list person. Without my lists I am disorganized and forget what I need to get, do, plan. 

I am going

Somewhere fun tonight, but shh, it's a secret - for now.

I am reading


I am hoping and praying
That Katie's health continues to improve. She is doing remarkably well and is even talking about returning to the apartment soon. 

I am hearing 

Some of the deck furniture scooting around in the wind. The temperature continues to dip ... brr!

Around the house - inside and out

I will begin my pre-Christmas cleaning. It includes washing windows inside and out, as well as tidying up the outside entry-way. My flower beds have been cleaned up, but I've left a few petunias that continue to bloom. I still have lots of roses on my small rose bush. The flowers are perfectly lovely, white with a blush of pale pink.  Every time I gaze upon it I am reminded of Our Lady's constant love and prayers.

One of my favorite things

In the whole world is greeting Isaac and getting him up after he awakens in the morning. He is always so happy! This, I will miss terribly when they go from here back to where they need to be. And, true enough, there is joy in knowing Katie's health will allow it. 

I am pondering

Forgiveness. Specifically, this question - if someone is not sorry for an offense he's committed against us, knowing full well it has harmed us in some way, and has no intention of asking for forgiveness are we obliged to forgive him? To do so really does nothing for him, but perhaps only makes us feel better. When God forgives us - it's for our sake, not His. Before Our Lord forgives us, aren't we also obliged to ask His forgiveness and have - at least imperfect, if not perfect - contrition for our sins committed against Him? Do we follow this model when forgiving one another?

A few plans for the weekend

Planning to enjoy Megan and my brother, Fr. Jim, before they head back south on Sunday. Hoping to spend some time tomorrow out and about with them and Erin, Katie and Isaac - perhaps head to Reston Town Center to window shop and watch the ice-skating and maybe even slip inside a cozy restaurant for a hot toddy!

A picture thought


My Chickies







 






2 comments:

  1. In reference to pondering: Yes there are many times others have hurt me intentionaly and were not remorseful. Yet, I have a duty to forgive them. You see, our Lord and Savior died for my sins even though I was not yet remorseful. In not forgiving someone, I am only hurting myself. I am not hurting the one who is not forgiven. It is in forgiveness that I find peace and clarity of mind. It is only with God's grace and goodneess that I am able to forgive those who have hurt me terribly. I was a child when a lot of those hurts have occurred, even so, I chose to forgive and because of that forgiveness I have felt God's love for me. Thank you so much for sharing. Love you so much. Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Darby, I am so very happy for you that your Katie is on the mend. I am one of those people who only know you through your blog, but was praying really hard and offering Masses for the return to health for Katie and for her family. On the topic of forgiveness, I completely agree with the post above. It is completely meaningless whether the one whom you forgive is remorseful. As I once read in a book about healing, forgiving someone is taking them off your hook and putting them on God's hook. He will deal with the other person as He finds appropriate, but you will block God's healing love if you harbor unforgiveness. I HIGHLY recommend the book by Immaculee Ilibagiza, who is a Rwandan genocide survivor. In it she gives a POWERFUL witness to the power of forgiveness. Sometimes when I am having a hard time with forgiving someone I make a conscious effort to say "God bless ______" every time they cross my mind--I have to KEEP putting them on God's hook!!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and struggles. I really enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete