Friday, July 15, 2011

You are never too old to learn a few things

For over two weeks I've been hobbling around with a left knee the size of a grapefruit. Until now, I haven't been able to sit at the computer desk long enough to write about it here. Too uncomfortable. But after my doctor's appointment earlier this week, the knee, although still a bit stiff, feels much better and is significantly less fluid-filled. Turns out I have pseudogout. It's not true gout - hence it's name. It is a type of arthritis caused by a build up of calcium pyrophosphate that creates crystals which adhere to the cartilage in a joint - typically the knee. The symptoms are very similar to gout - swelling and pain in the joint. I've read that pseudogout normally affects people age 60 or over and becomes more common as one ages. In August I'll be 51. My hair started turning gray in my 30's, leaving my locks completely silver by age 40, when I was also beginning the early stages of menopause. By age 45 lab results declared I was post-menopausal. So, I suppose acquiring a condition at 50 that normally strikes folks at 60 is just par for the course. I'm not going to dwell on it. Instead, I'd like to point out 10 'lessons' I've learned during this travail - or at least list some observations.

  1. No one takes care of you like your mother did. Makes me appreciate Mom all the more and miss her very generous outpouring of  TLC.
  2. With a knee injury or condition, when dressing oneself it is much easier putting on a dress or a skirt.
  3. Shorts or pants are much more practical when one finds the need to raise and prop the knee in somewhat unladylike positions.
  4. I have a new appreciation for the handicap stalls in public restrooms.
  5. I have a new found empathy for others who have trouble walking.
  6. Extreme pain and discomfort tempts me to be very cranky.
  7. It is okay to ask for help.
  8. Patience is indeed a virtue and it is only by the grace of God that I've been able to practice it these past two plus weeks.
  9. Joy is not a feeling. Experiencing joy is not the same as saying, "I am happy!"  It is a presence residing in the depths of one's soul. Joy presupposes humility. Humility is necessary for us to aspire above the burden of self pity and to turn our gaze toward Him, whereby we recognize our likeness to the One who suffered for our sakes and there we discover joy. A joy that is then magnified in uniting our own suffering to His.
  10. Only by His grace do I recognize the supernatural benefit that comes from suffering and I am eternally grateful for His allowing me this opportunity to offer my little affliction back to Him to do with it what He wills - perhaps for the benefit of my soul, but more happily for the salvation of others.
I'm sure I could expound on any one of the above items - write entire posts about them (and even more that I didn't list). Another time, perhaps, for now it's time to prop up the 'ol' knee' and get some much desired rest.

2 comments:

  1. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope your list is in descending order of importance. Your #9 & #10 are the most important on the list...although, I do think the "wearing shorts and raising your leg" point is well taken.

    Feel better, my friend!

    Love ya'

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete