Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Daybook on the Occasion of Returning Home

Outside my window ...
Grey skies for days now. Every once in awhile the sun peeks through and a hint of blue appears. Tomorrow promises sunshine and Autumnal temps are in store for this weekend. Loveliness.
I am wearing ...
Denim capris and a short sleeve, plaid pull-over blouse. No shoes or socks.
Around the house ...
Isaac's presence lingers and fills me, even though he hasn't been here for a few days. What joy to have him so nearby. Grateful.

From the kitchen ...
Pot roast in the crock pot and I will be preparing a chicken dinner for Katie, Sam & Isaac later this afternoon.

I am hearing ...
The A/C running. It is still muggy outside.
I am creating ...
Bad poetry ... in my head. Maybe I'll write it down - maybe I won't. Maybe I shouldn't.
On Pandora ...
Adele crooning "Daydreamer"

I am reading ...
On my Kindle ... Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, and the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero.

I am hoping and praying ...
For God's blessings on my friends and a few acquaintances who are carrying huge crosses right now. And for good health, and a safe pregnancy and delivery for my Katie.
I am grateful ...
To have the opportunity to return home after working 'out there' for over 7 years. God is so good to me.
And ... for the nearly 3 years I had working for the Town of Herndon with these awesome colleagues, whom I will always consider dear friends:
The Human Resources staff


The IT staff


The Town Attorney staff


I am pondering ...
There was a lot of uproar over the recent changes Facebook has made. The collective whine was deafening. Honestly, I was pretty much indifferent about the changes. I am more concerned about how I allow Facebook to lure me in and I worry about getting sucked in for hours at a time while the dust bunnies reproduce under the furniture and the mountain of laundry grows a little higher and higher. I realize Facebook is merely a tool and admittedly, I have delighted in finding long, lost friends and corresponding with folks whom I don't see very often. Even local friends post great photos and links to informative and humorous articles and stories. It also allows me to 'chat' with Megan while she's away at school. While I was working, I made a pact with myself to only spend 30 minutes a day on the computer, with the exception of writing - otherwise nothing would get done around here. Now that I am no longer working outside my home, I need to stick to that pact. I will not fiddle around on Facebook while my husband is home and in my presence. Interacting with him (and actually all other family members and guests) is far more important. All this leads me think about this post (regarding our slavery to technology) that was brought to my attention by my friend, Elizabeth.  I hope to explore the topic more in a later post. Until then, just one last thought ... Wendell Berry continues to write all his books and essays by hand. In this day and age that is impressive, and for me, inspiring.
A picture thought ...
Peanut Butter & Jelly sticking out my belly! And on my nose and in my ear and on my shoulder!

1 comment:

  1. I know..I am almost done with FB...but for promoting what I write. I spend much, much less time on there than I used to...funny how having your children home with you makes you appreciate the human contact. Thanks for this post (as I take a break from teaching to check my work email and read what my friends are up to.)

    ReplyDelete