Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Black Thursday

Puh-lease, Black Thursday

This article in The Washington Post mentions that, according to the National Retailers Association, millions of people do want to shop on Thanksgiving Day. The article explains that a lot of people welcome the escape from boredom and mundane dinner conversation:
“Stores are tapping into something that is very real — there is demand for this,” said Adam ­Hanft, a brand strategist for ­Hanft Projects in New York. “The reality is, people start to get cabin fever after awhile. They’re fighting about politics. They want to get out and do something.”
Kmart apparently has evolved from opening its doors for shoppers who need last minute items such as tin foil and gravy to now offering door-buster deals on large screen TV's as early as 6 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day. 

And I'm sure shoppers will engage in their fair share of pushing, shoving, and grabbing. Not to mention cursing and swearing. 

What is wrong with the world?

For one thing, God is dead to them. The Washington Post article never once mentions God let alone even being thankful (I know - that wasn't the focus of the article, but still.) Of course, if we diminish or outright banish the true object of our gratitude than why bother mentioning Him? Why not change the name of the holiday to Black Thursday? Especially, if taking part in mad shopping sprees is all it really means to you? 

As long as I can remember, Thanksgiving Day has indeed heralded the start of the Holiday shopping season. What is the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade all about anyhow?  Nevertheless, until fairly recently Thanksgiving was first and foremost a time to gather family together - to count our blessings, to break bread together and okay, even, to watch a lot of football. I suppose the true meaning of Thanksgiving may have eluded some even before the direct onslaught of Black Friday (now Thursday) deals - the logical result of failing to allow God to reside in our hearts, failing to make Him the centerpiece of our celebrations and of our lives. Get out of my way God (if you even exist), got to get my grubby hands on that $199.99 high definition plasma screen TV before they're all sold out! Thank you Wal-Mart, for providing more bang for my buck. I am eternally grateful! Is this what Thanksgiving is all about?

Go ahead, call me sentimental - even overly so - but I will not surrender my observance of Thanksgiving Day to abject consumerism. My kids will be the first to tell you that Thanksgiving Day is my very favorite non-religious holiday. Non-religious, but God-welcoming nonetheless! I refuse to allow a day that is set aside for remembering and celebrating all the God-given blessings in my life, replete with delectable gastronomical delights, surrounded by the people who mean the most in the world to me, to be hijacked by maddening door-buster deals just as the last bite of pumpkin pie barely passes my lips. 

I think it's worth remembering what the first Thanksgiving Day was all about:






No comments:

Post a Comment