Friday, October 29, 2010

Daybook October 29

FOR TODAY


Outside my window
It's breezy and cool. The maples and oaks are giving up their greens for bright yellows, rusts and crimsons. The sycamore dons giant pumpkin colored leaves. My favorite, the split trunk maple, has already lost all hers. She stands naked and shivering, yet resigned to face another winter with grace and confidence.
I am thinking
About our upcoming Thanksgiving celebration and all I am thankful for, but mostly I am thinking about preparing succulent sides to go along with the turkey and of course, pies. Katie desperately wants to make the pies. She will.
I am thankful for
All the dinners friends have been making and bringing to us. Every one of them has been delicious and truly very much appreciated!
From the kitchen
Just re-read what I am thankful for! :)
I am wearing
Jeans and my Franciscan University sweatshirt
I am creating
Words upon my heart - most of which are recorded in my private journal
On Pandora
Not on. Need to hear Isaac when he wakes up.
I am going
To work later and then maybe to the hospital to visit Katie - unless Sam brings her home this afternoon.
I am reading
Still reading snippets from Elizabeth Ann Seton's writings and Elisabeth Leseur. Very inspirational - especially now. I've also been reflecting on Elizabeth Foss' and Daniele Bean's Small Steps book. The October reflections have truly hit home!
I am hoping
The doctors figure out what's causing Katie's problems. They are leaning toward steroid withdrawal syndrome. I think they may be right. She needed to be tapered off after the last two hospitalizations. I've read that some patients need to be weaned off even if they've received large doses for only a day or two.
I am hearing
The buzzing of my refrigerator. The dull hum of traffic off in the distance. The breeze outside.
Around the house
With everything that's been going on around here I've still been able to keep things tidy and cleaned up - except for my bedroom. What a disaster!! Ugh. I must do something to remedy it soon.
I am praying
Always. But mostly short and to the point prayers. Haven't been able to focus enough to pray my rosary, but it will come back.
One of my favorite things
Holly protecting little Isaac. Holly is my 13 month old silver dappled dachshund. She loves Isaac. One day while I was feeding him, she hopped up on the chair next to me and placed her little head on Isaac's lap and fell asleep. No one was around to take a photo. It was very sweet.
A few plans for the weekend
Hopefully Katie will be home and on the mend. I really do need to make a dent in straightening up my bedroom. And maybe see if I can still find a pumpkin or two. Is it too late to plant pansies?
I am pondering
"... as to sickness, and death itself if it comes to us again we know that they are the common attendants of human life, they are our certain portion at one period or other, and it would be madness to be unhappy because I am treated like the rest of human beings." Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, Collected Writings.
A picture thought


 From the simple woman's daybook

(c) 2010 Darby Fitzpatrick














2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Hoping that all went well with the testing and Katie is home soon. Sorry to be absent these past few days. I have had a few issues of my own to contend with, but I am never far from you in prayer.

    Blessings,

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your heart and so beautifully . . . . ! Love you, friend.

    ReplyDelete