Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Baby's Coming ...

My phone rang at a little after 5 a.m. It was Katie.

"Mom, my water broke!"

It's amazing how many thoughts raced through my mind before I uttered my reply. No, Kate. Not now, it's too early. And Sam is away!

"Oh, Katie! Are you sure??"

"Yes, it's more than a trickle ... I'm soaked."

"Did you call your doctor? Are you having contractions?"

"Not yet ... getting ready to and no, no contractions."

"Okay, well, Dad will be over to pick you up."

I always send Jim in emergencies. If a car breaks down or runs out of gas - my standard reply, "Dad is on his way." He's a rock in a crisis, I'm butter. After I hung up, I thought, now why didn't I just throw on some clothes and go? Because I needed time to collect myself, to recover from the shock; and to become a rock for my daughter whose husband was hundreds of miles away filming an EWTN program. Besides, I also needed a quick shower. 

Jim was on his way to Katie's apartment in seconds flat. Megan was awake and getting ready ... straightening her hair and applying make-up. That seemed so odd to me at the time. I remember asking Meg why all the fuss? "I don't know," she shrugged, appearing genuinely puzzled. Guess it just seemed the thing to do. It's her morning ritual and sometimes simply going through the motions helps when our mind is racing off course. The dog, soaking in the excitement was bopping around, her tail wagging like crazy . She sensed that something was up - something out of the ordinary, but she couldn't know how special. Everything seemed surreal as Megan and I finished getting ready and headed out the door.

I met Katie in the OB triage room as a nurse was gathering all the necessary information. There she sat in that hospital bed, as chipper as can be, my baby. My beautiful baby preparing to give birth to her own beautiful baby; my grandson. She kept mentioning how she couldn't believe it was happening. We talked about how it's a good thing we have the cradle ready and that someone from Sam's family was going to run out to buy a car seat. She said she may need some diapers and a couple of newborn size Onesies. I remembered her mentioning on the phone earlier that she didn't even have her little suitcase packed yet! And I think she giggled. Despite her husband's absence, despite the fact that her son was coming four weeks early, Katie was giddy with joy and excitement. And it was contagious. Her high spirits soothed my concern that everything would turn out all right.

Katie was moved to a regular labor and delivery room. Nurses bustled in and out; the doctor paid a visit. She reassured my daughter that the baby, despite being early, should be fine. Typically, there are issues with temperature regulation as their little thermostats are still a bit premature and sometimes they don't like to eat. He may have to stay a few days after Katie is released from the hospital or he may be healthy enough to go home with her. Only time will tell.

The next few hours were calm and quiet. Phone calls were made and Katie and I chatted, but not excessively. She was having a few, mild and irregular contractions. The courtesy and gratitude Katie showed the nurses and lab technician was remarkable to me. What a kindhearted, gentle person she is! I've always known this, but it seemed I was seeing it for the first time. She delights my heart. She will be a good, good mother.

Soon Katie dozed off for a much needed nap while I prayed a rosary asking for Our Lord's love and protection.

Megan, who had gone home for a few hours, returned around 10 a.m. Her sister, who had been given a small dose of pitocin, was beginning to feel her contractions; they were stronger and coming at more regular intervals. Soon she needed to breathe through them. We watched the monitor record each contraction; how one would begin building like an undulating wave, finally reaching it's crescendo and then slowly subside. The baby's heart beat on, rhythmically marking the time  - swoosh, swoosh, swoosh - the most beautiful sound in the world, with the exception of the sound of the baby's first cry.

Jim stopped by (he had earlier returned home and then off to work). He bought Katie and Sam a camcorder. We had been planning to give them one as a new baby gift. He wanted to make sure they had it in time for the blessed event, so he ran over to Target before heading to work to purchase the one we had our eye on. Katie was so happy to receive it. Jim hung around for a few minutes, kissed us good-bye and was off to an early afternoon meeting.

We decided to watch a movie, Mama Mia, starring Meryl Streep. A good, mindless distraction while we waited; while she waited for her dear Sam to arrive. Katie needed something to help pass the time. Before the movie ended, we turned it off. It served it's purpose and Katie didn't want it anymore. The contractions were stronger.

At approximately 2:00, Sam rushed in. He was there, at last. Thank you, Jesus! After hugging them both, Megan and I departed for home to eat lunch and get some rest.

As of right now, my darling Kate has dilated from 3 to 6 cm in about 2 hours. Sam reports that she is doing well and is able to rest between contractions as she opted for an epidural. And we're waiting and praying.

In a few minutes, Megan and I will be heading back to the hospital to wait there with Sam's family. Jim will join us later - after he spends some time in adoration of Our Lord. There he will offer a grandfather's prayer of thanksgiving and of hope for good health and well-being.

Stay tuned ...

2 comments:

  1. God bless. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers to St Gerard for a safe delivery and healthy momma and baby.

    ReplyDelete