Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Twenty-five Years and Counting

We met at a bar on March 30, 1984. Three months later, he proposed marriage and I accepted. There was nothing particularly romantic about the proposal, because he isn't particularly romantic. He had been away on a week long business trip. When he returned he mentioned how much he really missed me. He wondered if I'd like to marry him. A few days later we drove over to a jewelry store and I picked out an engagement ring - a small emerald surrounded by six smaller diamonds. I love my ring. It's not like any I've ever seen.

On May 18, 1985 we married. It was a cool, beautiful, breezy May afternoon. We were married at St. Joseph Church in Herndon - the old, quaint one, before they built the new church. It was a lovely Mass and our reception at the Dulles Marriott was so much fun. I remember the muscles of my face aching from smiling so much. We honeymooned in San Francisco and Carmel, California. Beautiful!


Soon we were blessed with our first born, Kathryn Anne - followed by Erin Renee, Kevin James and Megan Colleen. Our jewels. Like most married couples, we've had our fair share of ups and downs. Mistakes - sure, we've made a few. And, yes, we do drive each other crazy from time to time. But together we have learned to recognize what's truly important. (We weren't always so smart!)  Together we have learned to put Christ first in our marriage. Together we have learned that our vocation calls us to lovingly assist one another and to cheer each other along on our journey toward heaven. We continue to remind each other to let go and let God use the unique gifts and talents He has given us to nurture and fortify our love for Him, for each other, and for our children ... and now our first grandchild!

I have been blessed all these 25 years and I am so looking forward to the next 25! Thank you, God, for my husband, Jim and for the LOVE that continues to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment