Sunday, September 4, 2011

September's Promise


There is a harmony
In autumn, and a lustre in its sky,
Which through the summer is not heard or seen,
As if it could not be, as if it had not been!
- Percy Bysshe Shelley

The air is different; evening creeps up fast, catching me off-guard and lingers long toward dawn. Our little crop of vegetables droop in fatigue and my petunias have grown weary in the fading summer's heat. The hydrangea never did bloom well this summer (too hot) and those darned suckers grown tall from the Crape Myrtle need trimming. Yet, I am grateful that for the most part the flower garden has been self-sustaining. After trouble with my knee made tending it difficult for me, my husband was able to weed periodically and water during the hottest and driest weeks, keeping a presentable appearance.

 I recall how my heart sank mid-August at hearing the news, the MRI results bearing the dreaded confirmation of MS. We had hoped not. Hoped long and hard. My maternal instinct wagged a specious finger at me. "How could you have let this happen? Why didn't you protect her like you once did -- from tumbling out of her crib, from germs, from electrocution, from untoward peers, from spiritual harm?" 
And so, here am I, accused. 

Summoning our holy Mother, I collapse into her arms. Who knows better than Our Lady, the torment in witnessing the suffering of her child? She lifts my spirit, girds me in faith and hope and reminds me that love, " ... bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." (1 Cor 13:7) 

And my mother's heart knows again to trust; everything will be all right.

*******************************
The sun crouches low, kissing my back more now than my brow. The cricket chants his nocturnal hymn in sweet, smooth harmony as the breeze promises refreshment and soothing.

How fitting that September heralds new beginnings. A new school year for some, a new season for many. For my family, this month divulges a new promise that has lifted us and will bear us through our winter and soften its blow (and, likely, all our winters to come). Katie, Sam and their dear, little Isaac, have been gifted with a brand new creation -- a new life to nurture, to offer supplication, to celebrate!

Please join us in thanksgiving to our Father in Heaven and in prayer for a healthy, happy nine (or so) months as we wait in joyful anticipation and in love for the arrival of a new little one to shower with kisses and to cuddle so very close to our hearts. 





Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
his love endures forever.
Psalm 118:1






4 comments:

  1. "I have a little secret." You could see it in his eyes as he smiled at me and shook his head in approval. She knew he'd tell no one. And...he didn't! I told him that he was trusted with all the important secrets so that he could chat with St. Pio about them! Congratulations! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kathy. God bless him, sweet boy. God bless you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post Darby. Sad about the MS, thrilled about the new little one. All are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete