Thursday, May 2, 2013

{p,h,f,r} ... of Lilacs and Honor

~ Capturing the context of contentment in everyday life ~
 
{pretty}

My lilacs are just lovely and plentiful this year.





{happy} 
My favorite place to read, pray, meditate or simply dream on beautiful days ...


 {funny}

Jim and I did a lot of babysitting this past weekend. These little people always make me laugh ...




 {real}
 It's been a busy couple of weeks here. Our son-in-law's beloved father passed away on April 20. You may have heard of him, Howard J. Phillips, an early leader in the conservative movement, three-time presidential candidate, founder of the Constitution Party (formerly known as the U.S. Taxpayers Party). Jim and I attended his funeral earlier this week, where five of his six children presented loving, moving tributes to their Dad. Friends and colleagues also eulogized Howard, one at the funeral, and several during a reception held later. Some of the words used to describe Howard, over and over again were: tireless, effective, stalwart, unwavering, honorable, compassionate, fighter for liberty, a man of conviction, a true patriot, uncompromising -- to name a few. I came away truly inspired to 'stick to my guns', to never give in to the temptation to compromise, and with a renewed sense of courage to swim against the tide. Thank you, Howard, for that.

 [To learn a little more about this remarkable man, you may be interested in reading this wonderful tribute  by his long-time friend and colleague Richard Viguerie.]

I am not politically savvy. I suppose I'm somewhat of a late bloomer, not having a real interest in politics and world affairs until sometime after I married. At times in recent years, I listened with great interest to Howard conversing with others more knowledgeable than I about federal, state and local issues. I never really contributed much, if anything. I felt a bit more like a naive student at the knee of a great teacher. 

Where I really did connect with Howard was in his tremendous admiration for his family; for his children and grandchildren, particularly his son, Sam (because he is married to our daughter, naturally I know him best and love him as though he were my own son) and the sheer delight he took in being with Isaac and Margaret - the grandchildren we share. Even when the dementia - which ultimately took his life - had become evident, Howard's face would simply beam in the presence of little Isaac. 

He clearly loved children, particularly his own.

I vividly remember watching Howard during Margaret's baptism just about one year ago. Margaret was rather uncharacteristically screaming her little head off and I could sense some of the stress resonating off of Katie, trying her best to hush her. I looked over at Howard at one point, and of all the guests present, he was the only one truly enjoying the moment! With his wide smile and that trademark twinkle in his eye, he seemed to be cheering, "Way to go, Margaret! That's my girl!"

That is the image of Howard that I will keep with me always.
May he rest in peace. 
Howard with Isaac, May 2012


{p,h,f,r}
Join in every Thursday, at Like Mother, Like Daughter

round button chicken

3 comments:

  1. Howie Phillips was a great man -- we were sad to hear of his passing. To Sam: May his memory be eternal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Leila. My mother-in-law, Peggy, told me your husband was involved with the Constitution Party years ago. Small world! I will pass your message on to Sam. --Katie Phillips

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful, Mrs. Fitzpatrick. Thank you. Alex

    ReplyDelete