Friday, May 28, 2010

Praying Farewell

Here it is, the day before the big graduation party. I've taken the day off from work. I've just finished jotting down the items I need from the grocery store. I've also listed the chores that still need to get done. But I'm distracted. I cannot devote all my attention to this grand celebration for three awesome young people, no matter how hard I try. My head is full of thoughts of Papa Ern and I keep wondering how much longer? With almost every breath I offer another prayer, pleading for a happy death even though I know for those of us who stand vigil, particularly my mom, the grief is palpable. 

There is, however, an indescribable beauty in knowing that our thoughts and prayers, that our love mingled with our tears, accompany my step-father on his journey. A journey all of us will make. His journey has been long and difficult and punctuated by much pain and suffering, but also by salient moments of endearment and affection that none of us will ever forget. He leaves us with the knowledge that we are loved and appreciated. He marches forward knowing how much we love him, too.

Oh, my Jesus, on behalf of Ernest, please graciously hear this prayer and grant him, my dear friend and step-father, loving Papa to my children and devoted husband and companion to my mom, a beautiful and peaceful death. Surround him with your angels and saints ...

ASPIRATIONS FOR THE DYING
  
O God, be gracious to me;
 O God, have mercy on me;
O God, forgive me my sins! 
O God the Father, have mercy on me;
O Jesus, be gracious to me;
O Holy Spirit, strengthen me! 
O God the Father, do not reject me;
O Jesus, do not abandon me;
O God the Holy Spirit, do not forsake me!
O my God, into Thy hands I commend my spirit;
O Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!
O Jesus, Son of Mary, have mercy on me!
O Jesus, I believe in Thee;
 O Jesus I hope in Thee;
O Jesus, I love Thee!
O Jesus, I place all my trust in Thy bitter Passion!
O Jesus, in Thy Sacred Wounds I hide myself!
O Jesus, I enclose myself in Thy Sacred Heart!
Holy Mary, Mother of God, assist me!
Holy Mary, protect me from the evil spirit!
Holy Mary, turn thine eyes of mercy upon me!
O Mary, Mother of mercy, obtain grace for me from thy dear Son!
Come to my aid, O Mary, in this my anguish and need!
O Mary, enclose me in thy virginal Heart!
O Mary, commend me to thy Son, present me to thy Son,
reconcile me with thy Son!
St. Joseph, obtain for me grace and mercy!
St. Joseph, assist me in my struggle against the enemy of my salvation!
St. Joseph, to thee do I entrust my soul: do thou save it for me!
St. Joseph, remember me, and obtain mercy for me!
O holy Guardian Angel, do not abandon me, but combat for me
and preserve me from the evil one!
My dear Patron Saints, pray for me!
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, into Thy hands I commend my spirit!
 
ST. JOSEPH, ADVOCATE OF THE DYING AND THE SINNER,
PRAY FOR US WHO HAVE RECOURSE TO THEE.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your well written piece. Many of us unfortunately have read horror stories about the funeral business. Regrettably there are companies selling cremation urns online which are not much more reputable. While they spend lavish amounts of money on web sites dripping with sympathy – many of these companies are nothing more than a site that drop ships product. Beware of sellers that do not have a physical address or the names of the principals of the company on the site – what are they hiding from? I had an issue with a company called Perfect Memorials ( Perfectmemorials.com ) and there was no one from the company that would talk to me. While I could call to order an urn – I could not speak to an owner or manager over the phone – they insisted that we only communicate via email. An evasive tactic if I ever saw one! Perfect Memorials is really a company that invested heavily in the web – but puts very little into the human contact part of the funeral/memorial industry. I would be careful of Perfectmemorials.com and others like them.

    ReplyDelete