Sunday, December 19, 2010

Daybook on the Fourth Sunday of Advent

FOR TODAY

Outside My Window
A nearly full moon shines brightly in the evening sky illuminating scattered patches of snow that have decided to stick around for awhile. Silhouettes of trees stand black and tall reaching heavenward. It is cold, but not quite as frigid as it has been. Christmas lights twinkle in a gentle breeze. It is a beautiful night.
I am Remembering
Erin, probably no more than two, spied a full moon one evening, extended her arms and cried out longingly, "Oh, moon! My moon! My moon!" I think about that moment every time I see a moon full to overflowing.
From the Kitchen
Thursday will be our big baking day. I will make my grandmother's molasses cookies. Actually, they're Freda Foley's molasses drop cookies. I assume Freda was my grandmother's friend. Christmas would not be the same without these cookies. Nor would it be the same without Margaret McMahon's coffee cake. I'm not sure who Margaret McMahon is or was, but the recipe comes from Jim's grandmother and we always serve it Christmas morning. It is simply delicious, packed with nuts and cinnamon. It is scrumptious with hot tea later in the afternoon, too!
I am Grateful for
I began praying on my drive over to the adoration chapel on Wednesday afternoon. Exhausted and near tears, I asked Him to give me peace. I asked Him to give me the grace to rest in His Presence and to stay aware. He heard me. I listened. My hour seemed only minutes when I suddenly realized it was time to leave. And I departed in peace, renewed once more.
I am Wearing 
My red Belmont Abbey sweatshirt over a cream colored mock turtleneck, jeans and Sperry Topsiders.
I am Creating
A Christmas home! Complete with all the sights, sounds and smells of this holy, wondrous season. This final week of Advent brings heightened anticipation marked by a childlike giddiness. Help me, Lord, to soak it all in.
On Pandora
At the moment: "The Holly and the Ivy" by the Cambridge Singers
I am Going
To work for only 3 days this week ... yippee!
I am Reading
My collection of Christmas books for children. I just brought them up from our basement this afternoon. Isaac was only interested in chewing on one.
I am Hoping
I am able, with His grace, to really and truly ready my heart and soul.
I am Hearing
A moment ago, I heard a fox screeching out back. I also heard Isaac crying in his crib upstairs. He was just going to sleep when I think he, too, heard the harrowing wail. The first time I heard a fox cry, I wondered if someone was being murdered along the path behind my house. It's bone-chilling!
Around the House
I finished the decorating with the exception of a few last minute things. I will cut fresh holly from the bushes beside the house and evergreens, too, to place here and there on Christmas Eve. It feels very, very good to have it done - but there is still quite a bit of cleaning to do, especially my bedroom. I'm not sure if it was a hurricane or a tornado that whipped through there, but whatever it was, I've deemed it a disaster area. And boy, does it make me crabby!
I am Praying
For Katie who is better in some ways, but still not feeling very well and having issues with her vision in one eye. She is excited to return to her apartment with Sam and Isaac and I am very happy for them. But, oh how I will miss them, especially that baby boy! Thank goodness they only live 10 minutes away!!
One of My Favorite Things
Jim singing all the wrong words to Christmas carols, but with a twinkle in his eye and a spring in his step. And the wonderful, awkward way he wraps his gifts for me.
A Few Plans for the Week
Work. Clean. Bake. Cook. Party. Midnight Mass! (Maybe there will be snow!)
I am Pondering
Joy and Sorrow - twin sisters born of Love!
A Picture Thought

Thank you, Jim Dear!

One of our first ornaments.

No comments:

Post a Comment