Wednesday, December 1, 2010

On Forgiveness

In my previous blog post, Thanksgiving Daybook, the day after, I mention that I am pondering the topic of forgiveness; more specifically, our obligation to forgive those who do not seek repentance. Some may assume by reading this that I am currently struggling with forgiving someone; however that is not the case. The question posed continues to tickle my brain ever since my spiritual director and I discussed it several years ago. He posits that we are not obligated to forgive others when it is clear that they don't want us to and they hold no remorse for knowingly offending us. Based on conversations surrounding forgiveness that arise often, I have discovered that almost no one agrees with this position. So, I guess I am still trying to 'get my head around it'.

In agreeing with my former spiritual director, does this mean that I don't have a forgiving heart? No. I fully understand 'forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those' and I know that if we choose not to forgive someone, we cannot expect our heavenly Father to forgive us:
"For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father also will forgive you; but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses" (Matt. 6:14–15).

This morning, I discovered an excellent article, that I highly recommend, on the Catholic Answers - This Rock web site written in 2003 by Jimmy Akin entitled, The Limits of Forgiveness.

In his essay, Mr. Akin discusses: Forgiveness and Feelings, Anger and Sin, Anger and Forgiveness, What Forgiveness is Not, Preemptive Forgiveness, and What Forgiveness is. This piece has offered the clarity and reassurance I have been seeking - particularly the final two sections. Allow me to quote from the article:

We aren’t obligated to forgive people who do not want us to. This is one of the biggest stumbling blocks that people have regarding the topic. People have seen "unconditional" forgiveness and love hammered so often that they feel obligated to forgive someone even before that person has repented. Sometimes they even tell the unrepentant that they have preemptively forgiven him (much to the impenitent's annoyance).

This is not what is required of us.

Consider Luke 17:3–4, where Jesus tells us, "If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him; and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, and says, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him."

Notice that Jesus says to forgive him if he repents, not regardless of whether he does so. Jesus also envisions the person coming back to you and admitting his wrong.

The upshot? If someone isn’t repentant, you don’t have to forgive him.

If you do forgive him anyway, that can be meritorious, provided it doesn’t otherwise have bad effects (e.g., encouraging future bad behavior). But it isn’t required of us that we forgive the person.

This may strike some people as odd. They may have heard unconditional love and forgiveness preached so often that the idea of not indiscriminately forgiving everybody sounds unspiritual to them. They might even ask, "But wouldn’t it be more spiritual to forgive everyone?"

I sympathize with this argument, but there is a two-word rejoinder to it: God doesn’t.

Not everybody is forgiven. Otherwise, we’d all be walking around in a state of grace all the time and have no need of repentance to attain salvation. God doesn’t like people being unforgiven, and he is willing to grant forgiveness to all, but he isn’t willing to force it on people who don’t want it. If people are unrepentant of what they know to be sinful, they are not forgiven.

Jesus died once and for all to pay a price sufficient to cover all the sins of our lives, but God doesn’t apply his forgiveness to us in a once-and-for-all manner. He forgives us as we repent.
Yes, we still need to have a heart of mercy. God desires all of us to reside in Heaven with Him and I do believe, as Mr. Akin points out in his conclusion (please see article), that we must have the same attitude toward forgiveness as our Heavenly Father does. We, too, should will that all God's children repent of their sins and offenses. If someone has sinned against us knowingly and remains unrepentant, we must never cease to hope and pray for his salvation while we offer the deep sting of our wounds to Christ, our true healer.

7 comments:

  1. It is my understanding that we have to be willing to forgive a transgressor, should he ever seek it. That is far different than either offering it pre-emptively, or holding on to the pain and resentment until we are asked to forgive. Being willing to offer forgiveness allows us to heal and drop the burden of the transgression against us. At least, this is the place I have come, after having to wrestle with this quite vigorously a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I have been faced with situations of desiring an apology for some hurt done by another, I have come to the realization that I too am guilty and in need of forgiveness. The realization didn't and still doesn't come quickly but more so now that I am more experienced in life's journey. It has been more my evil thoughts than actions after being offended but it is still wrong. By admitting my wrong in a situation, it helps me as well as the other party know, that no one is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thought is to forgive is essential, but forgiveness does not necessarily mean we should reenter the relationship in the same way or even at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, how timely. Forgiveness is something I am struggling with as we are in the aftermath of learning a family member molested my 4 yr old daughter. I know that I am not perfect and that I too need God and others to forgive me for my sins, yet I can not come to the point where I forgive him. I am praying that God helps me forgive though. I also pray that he is truly repentent and that I see him in heaven some day. That is all I can muster for now, and I know God will continue to work on my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about Jimmy Akin's article and for including an excerpt from it. The link to his article isn't working for me; too bad -- I'd like to read the whole article.
    This is definitely a different insight on the topic than what I've ever considered. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, all for your thoughts and comments. For the person who is struggling right now with forgiveness, please know that I am praying for you and with you. I, too, believe God will continue to work on your heart. May His love and grace fill you during this most difficult time.

    Not sure why the link to the article isn't working. Here's the web address:

    http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2003/0309bt.asp

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darby,
    Thank you for your prayers (from the one who wrote earlier about struggling with forgiveness).. I can't thank you enough for sharing this article. It was just what I needed to free me from the fear that my salvation is at risk because of my anger over this. That is not to say I am presumptive about my salvation though.
    Be filled with joy, Dear. God is using you to reach out to others. Thank you for your obedience to Him. You will probably never know what amazing things he is doing through you :)

    ReplyDelete