Thursday, February 28, 2013

pretty, happy, funny, real :: in which we bid adieu, dear Papa!

~ Capturing the context of contentment in everyday life ~


{pretty}
We have had the most amazing sunsets here lately.










{happy}

I try not to get carried away by, (i.e., attached to) material things. But the fact that I have my first new car in 21 years (lots of new 'used' cars since) does, as a matter of fact, make me a little happy:






And yes, a week after buying the new car we replaced our 30 year old refrigerator with this beauty:



And that makes me a little happy, too!



{funny}

This is Margaret trying to kiss Holly. The two of them are such cuddle-bugs, although I much prefer M's big, fat, wet, mushy kisses to Holly's licking!




















{real}

Late this morning, with tears flowing, I blew kiss upon kiss toward the image on my television screen of our now retired Holy Father departing the Vatican for the last time as our Supreme Pontiff. The depth of my sorrow surprised not only me, but the wee hound, Holly, who peered up at me quizzically, wondering, I'm sure, what had caused such an outburst of sobbing and wailing.
 
 
I recall how overjoyed I was those nearly 8 years ago when Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger's name was announced as our new successor to St. Peter. At the time, I was working at my parish office and I along with my co-workers had been glued to the television set anticipating the grand news, Habemus Papem! We have a pope! If that wasn't exciting in and of itself, we all whooped and hollered, jumped for joy and hugged one another as we learned the identity of our new Holy Father. I will never forget that day. 
 
 
Today, it hurts to see him go, to bid him adieu - even though I know - I trust - his stepping aside is the right move. For the next few weeks we, like little orphans, are without a Holy Father. But the Holy Spirit will not keep the ship captain-less for long. These are exciting days and weeks ahead - days of deep prayer and fasting. Appropriate for Lent, yes. In hope and in trust and in profound gratitude to God, we look forward to being swept up into the glory of Easter, perhaps with a newly elected Pontiff at our helm. May God make it so!
No pictures here in this spot this week. Just the parting, final words of our dear, beloved Pope Emeritus, Benedict XVI.

"Thank you, thank you from my heart. I am happy to be here with you, surrounded by the beauty of Creation and your friendship that does me so much good, thank you for your friendship, for caring.
You know that today is different from others … as of eight p.m. I will no longer be the Supreme Pontiff of the Catholic Church. I will simply be a pilgrim who is beginning the last part of his pilgrimage o
n earth.

"But with my heart, my love, my prayer, with all my inner strength, I will work for the common good and the good of the Church and all humanity.

"And I feel greatly supported by your affection. Let us move forward together with the Lord for the good of the Church and the world.

"I will now impart upon you all my Apostolic Blessing.
Thank you and good night. Thank you all."

—Pope Benedict XVI



{p,h,f,r}

Join in every Thursday, at Like Mother, Like Daughter





round button chicken

1 comment: