Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Empty Nesting

 I'd like to share the following piece I composed in the fall of 2006. I will offer an update in the next day or so ...

With my freshly poured cup of coffee at the ready, the first article I spotted in The Washington Times one morning this past week was about empty nesters. I'm not a true empty nester, but by every indication my husband and I are rather too quickly (for my taste) headed in exactly that direction. It's really not such a bad thing, the article pointed out. In fact, 'empty nest syndrome' is really not as common as experts once thought. Many parents find great relief and happiness in their children leaving home for good. It is a time for couples to reconnect, take up new hobbies and interests. No longer are their lives ruled by carpooling and soccer schedules. Now they are free to join bicycle clubs or go jogging with one another. So, I suppose 'empty nest syndrome' isn't a real syndrome after all. The majority of parents claim to dearly love their newly sprung offspring, but at the same time peals of rejoicing often follow as the youngest bids farewell. Okay, fine. So what's my problem?

My oldest daughter left three days ago. My heart felt as though it was being ripped out of my chest. And she's not even gone for good, yet! A junior in college, she had the incredible opportunity to spend a semester studying abroad. She's in Rome - directly across from the Vatican. If all goes well and as planned, I will not see her until after Thanksgiving. Sometimes I walk down the hallway to her bedroom and look at the things she left behind. Her whole life is summed up in the many photos and mementos she has displayed about her room. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled for her.


My second child - also a girl - started college as a freshman. Out of state. Yep, I cried when I left her. In fact, I found myself weeping at the oddest times weeks leading up to her departure. Again, I felt as though something was dying inside. From all reports, she is doing well and enjoying college life immensely.  Again, I am genuinely thrilled. But I miss her very much. My husband and I will see her again the end of the month. We are planning to visit the campus during homecoming weekend. I can't wait!

There you have it. Like I said, I'm not a true empty nester yet, but movement in that direction, well, for me anyway, is for the birds! I suppose its okay that most parents rejoice as their kids leave the house and that the few, like me, who instead grieve are becoming the real oddballs.

1 comment:

  1. I'm tracking with you, Darby. Even though, I have a long way to go before the nest will ever be empty, I plan on keeping them under my wing for as long as possible. They can fly close to the nest, but not too far. Of course, that's my plan and the oldest has agreed, but who's to say what the rest will do.

    ReplyDelete