Monday, February 1, 2010

A Funny Ka-Ching Happened When Kevin Was Two

This morning I discovered a pocketful of change on the floor of the family room. As I stooped down to scoop it up trying to figure out how it got there, I was reminded of something that had happened several years ago. My son Kevin, who was two at the time, was playing with his little cars and trucks on the floor of our living room as I methodically assembled our artificial Christmas tree. As I was preparing to string the lights, Kevin suddenly stopped what he was doing.

“Uh-oh,” he announced, a bit sheepishly, “I ate a penny.”

“What? Did it go all the way down or is it stuck?”

“It’s here … in my tummy!” he pointed to his belly.

As Kevin is my third child I felt pretty confident that whatever “goes in” usually always “comes out,” but, as a precaution, I phoned my father-in-law, a pediatrician. He told me to keep an eye out for the coin as Kevin should most likely pass it within the next 24 to 48 hours. If I didn’t see it, then I should have him examined by our family physician. Well, lo and behold, the next time Kevin had a bowel movement don’t you know, there it was in his diaper! With much relief, I shared the good news with my husband. He was also very much relieved saying, 

“Oh, good, that’s great.” 

I replied, “Yes, it is and guess what? Kevin swallowed a penny and pooped out a dime!”

Laughing, my husband responded, “Wow, that’s a pretty good rate of exchange! Do you think he’ll swallow a dollar?”

No comments:

Post a Comment