Friday, February 19, 2010

My Lenten Resolution

Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you are listening to two people talk about you as if you weren't sitting right there in front of them? (Parents do this a lot. Kids hate it. "Why are you talking about me as if I'm not even here?!") Most of us agree that it's impolite, if not down right rude. But I think we do it to Jesus all the time.  

In his book, Jesus-Shock, Peter Kreeft writes,
"You talk to someone present, not to someone absent. And you talk about someone absent, not about someone present, unless you are very impolite."
Kreeft continues ...
"We are all a little like the theologian who died and was given the choice, by God, between going to Heaven or going to a lecture on Heaven, and he chose the lecture."
How I love to talk about Jesus! But I think I need to spend less time talking about Him and more time talking to Him. 

So, not only have I given up sweets for Lent, I resolve to include everyone (seen and unseen)  in the conversation; to talk to Jesus more than I talk about Him, and to listen to Him, too. After all, it's the polite thing to do and it may even benefit my soul!

Let me add this - if your spiritual life could use a little CPR, I highly recommend Jesus-Shock. This little book by Peter Kreeft is jam-packed with wisdom. It is simple; yet profound and will not disappoint, I promise.


2 comments:

  1. Darby you rock!
    This is Lara Miller. Fr. Jim is at my parents house and he is showing me your wonderful writings!
    This one on Lent, in particular, is awesome and I needed to hear it!...And am going to look into the Peter Kreeft book.
    I am going to practice right now...Jesus and I thank you for sharing yourself with the world.
    The Jesus in me loves you...and I am including Him in this conversation.
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lara! Happy to see you here!

    ReplyDelete