Sunday, March 13, 2011

Daybook for a Sunday in Lent

For Today

Outside My Window ...
Buds! On Maples, Bradford Pears, Lilacs, & Hydrangea! The grass is turning green again and there are baby leaves popping up on my rosebushes. The scent of newly spread mulch permeates the air beside the house. Lovely Spring sneaks back into our lives with welcomed celebrated surprise!
I Am Wearing ...
Brown slacks, a short-sleeved pullover blouse with a sunburst design in tans/whites/browns and my brown Eddie Bauer cardigan sweater, because there is still a chill in the air.  
On Pandora ...
"Drowsy Maggie" by the Chieftains (because it is almost St. Patrick's Day!)
Around The House ...
I bought purple candles today for Lent. The place could really use a good, Spring cleaning.
From The Kitchen ...
Grilled steak tonight with sweet potato fries and a salad.  
I Am Hearing ...
Jim tapping away on the laptop keyboard. He's finishing up his design for our new deck.
I Am Reading ...
The Imitation of Mary ~  by Alexander De Rouville (I can't remember how many times I've read this book. I still learn from it each and every time.)
He and I ~  by Gabrielle Bossis (More than any other spiritual work, this simple, little book has truly deepened my relationship with Jesus.)
A Place on Earth ~ by Wendall Berry
 I Am Hoping and Praying ...
For the people of Japan in the wake of the recent earthquake and tsunami. All I keep thinking about are the babies and children.
For the repose of the soul of Fred Fitzpatrick ... until we meet again, dear, sweet man!
For the repose of the soul of a very holy woman I really didn't know well, but who in dying has been a tremendous inspiration.
For my step-sister, Brenda, who continues to fight her own battle with cancer.
For all those suffering illness and hardship and for all those whose hearts are breaking.
I Am Grateful ...
For my Faith that lifts and carries me through the difficult moments and allows me to always rest my weary head upon His most sacred Heart. Praying each night that my little heart beats in sync with His own.
I Am Pondering ...
Our pastor's sermon this morning. He spoke about the serpent's three-fold temptation of Adam and Eve in the first reading from Genesis, (Gn 2:7-9; 3:1-7), comparing it to Satan's three-fold temptation of Christ in the desert from today's Gospel. (Matthew 4:1-11)
Adam and Eve's first temptation is one of disbelief. After Eve explains to Satan that God told them not to eat the fruit of the tree in the middle of the garden, or even touch it, lest they die, Satan balks - “You certainly will not die!"Yet, their disbelief most certainly leads to death.

And then he tempts them toward pride, " ... God knows well that the moment you eat of it your eyes will be opened and you will be like gods who know what is good and what is evil.” In wanting to be wise like God, their intellects are dulled.

Finally, disobedience - they freely choose to disobey the commandment God has given them, they partake of the fruit, and well ... all hell breaks loose! And they are filled with shame. They are banished from the Kingdom.
In Matthew's Gospel, Satan meets Jesus, not in a garden, but in a desert where He has fasted for forty days and nights. He is hungry and the evil one tests Him - If you are the son of God, command these stones become loaves of bread. Jesus replies, “It is written: One does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.” Belief in God's word leads to life eternal. Trust in Him is our triumph over death first introduced by Adam's sin.
Satan tries a second time, if you are the son of God, throw yourself down from the precipice; surely the angels will care for you. Jesus answers, "Again it is written, You shall not put the Lord, your God, to the test." Jesus teaches us how to be humble in faith. He does not 'put on a show' to prove himself. We must avoid the temptation to call undue attention to ourselves - to become haughty in our faith and make ourselves look good in the eyes of others, solely for our own sakes, as the pharisees did. Instead, with the aid of His grace, we must live our faith in deep sincerity and guarded always by humility.
Finally, Satan promises Jesus 'the world' if only he will bow down and worship him. Jesus replies, “Get away, Satan! It is written: The Lord, your God, shall you worship and him alone shall you serve.”  Our true wealth is not of this world. It is through our worship of and obedience to God alone that we will inherit our place in His Kingdom. We are His servants and only His.

A Picture Thought ...
My brother-in-law, Paul Fitzpatrick, receiving the American flag that was draped over his dad's casket. It was a very emotional moment for me and others gathered there.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. In taking a break from my own blog, I am happily visiting my friend's blogs and teaching my girls to cross-stitch. (I am still writing on my prayer blog, though) Much to pray about, think about, and consider with a child's faith in the coming months. Thanks for sharing your day with me...virtually or in person! You are dear to me!!!

    ReplyDelete