Thursday, January 27, 2011

Teach me Joy

"Whoever shall devoutly recall to me the joy I felt upon uttering the words, 'Behold the handmaid of the Lord,' I will most truly show him that I am his mother, and unfailingly I will succor him." - The Blessed Mother to St. Gertrude


O blessed Mary, my mother, Queen of Joy,
As I finger each stone polished smooth, I offer you 
my heart, my soul.
You invite me
to enter your own.
Here you teach me joy.

There is suffering in the joy.
An annunciation and an ardent yes,
life-changing for you, for all of us.
Your soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
 knows, too, of the coming travail.

In Joy
you withdraw, along parched road to bring comfort to your kinswoman,
honored to serve and to love.
Joy bounds in belly swollen as her babe leaps
in recognition of the Emmanuel warming your own.

God's own son, Emmanuel
Your own, too, God-with-us,
welcomed to earth by sleepy-eyed bovine and bleating fleece.
O the Joy that awakens an unconscious and wounded world!
And they come hither and yon to see for themselves,
to savor the Glory and share this Joy.

O, my Queen , you are also our Mother of Sorrows
Was Joy extinguished by the way of His cross,
as you carried that weight with each beat of your heart
pierced at the sight of His body all bloodied and scourged?

Did it find you, still, amid the Passion,
bearing you,
allowing your eyes to kiss 
His face swollen and bruised?
Did Joy take wing, sweet sorrowing Mother,
as your lips met His sacred feet bolted fast to splintering wood?

Dearest Mother, 
you knew in your sorrowing heart,
in the depths of your magnifying soul, of the Joy abandonment brings.
His own abandonment at Golgotha found you steadfast
in the sweet, soothing rhythms of love caressing Him 
 as Mercy rained down upon the earth
drenching mankind in a promise 
and 
Hope

You are our Queen of Joy
because He is Risen,
He has trampled death.
Because He promises us all a share in 
His Resurrection.
And so, the hope of our faith is realized
and I, too, rejoice.

I, too, rejoice
even when worry lays heavy and 
words sear.
Joy in the face of rejection and loss
and disappointment.
It exists in the abandonment,
In the eternal, forever 
abandonment.

Blessed Mary, Mother of Sorrows, Queen of Rejoicing
continue to teach me to live
Joy.




No comments:

Post a Comment